Feb 20, 2019

“I’m amazed you agreed to come to lunch with me, Edgeworth,” Phoenix told his old friend, and he smiled at him across the table, “You’ve always turned me down before.”

“It was nothing personal; I just generally consider it a waste of time to take a break in the middle of the day when one can get work done while they eat,” Miles said simply.

“So what changed your mind today?” the defense attorney asked with honest curiosity. 

“I couldn’t get any work done anyway,” Miles said frowning slightly.  Phoenix’s eyes dimmed slightly as he realized that the prosecutor had no intention of explaining himself any further.

“Why?” He urged shortly.

“Franziska and Godot are bickering like children, and they insist on doing it very loudly.  Almost makes me wish he had gotten incarcerated…”

“Miles!”

“I wasn’t serious, Wright.  There’s no need to get on your moral high horse.  But they are very extraordinarily annoying.  I had thought that Franziska was a force that couldn’t be reckoned with, but I fear she’s met her match…”

“Can I see?” Phoenix asked earnestly.

“See?”

“Yeah, can I come to the prosecutor’s office after lunch?  I want to see how bad it is.”

“You’re a glutton for punishment to go seeking out the two people who have physically assaulted you in court while they’re both in terrible moods, but who am I to stop you from your folly?  I’ll give you a ride if you’re really up to it,” Miles said, watching Phoenix over the rim of his teacup.  Phoenix simply nodded his head and smiled.

oOo

            “That case was supposed to be mine.”

            “Well, too bad.  I got to it first.”

            “Give it back!”

            “It’s not a toy, Filly.  I’m not going to give it to you just because you’re throwing a tantrum.”

            “You knew I wanted it.  You knew I was interested in it.  You took it just to bother me!  Give it back!”

            “Listen, Kid,” Godot said, standing up abruptly.  He leaned forward with his coffee mug on top of her head to ensure balance, and made sure she knew he was looking her in the eye, “This is a case for an under-aged prostitution ring.  The scum that we’re prosecuting makes his money by taking advantage of little girls like you.  What kind of a man would I be if I let you any where near him?”

            “I can take care of myself, you stupid fool,” Franziska said, bucking her head so that he’d stumbled.  She grabbed the case file out of his grip as he found his balance and turned to walk away. “And I’m almost twenty!”

            “Goody gum-drops for you, kiddo.  Only two birthdays away from drinking; you certainly are a big grown-up now, aren’t you?” Godot said sarcastically, walking towards her.  His voice reflected humor, but his face was deadly serious. “You’re a baby, now give me the file.”

            “I’ll have you know I’ve been prosecuting for almost seven years now.  Far longer than-” Godot grabbed the file; Franziska jerked back; papers flew everywhere.

            “That was you’re fault,” they said simultaneously.  Ignoring the documents now strewn over the floor, Franziska lashed out with her whip.  Looking for all the world like the hero of some slave story, Godot let the thing wrap around his arm before yanking back and pulling it away from her.  Not letting her surprise get the better of her, Franziska reached forward and knocked the coffee mug out of his hand.

            “You little bitch!” Godot hissed in surprise, “That was blend #65!”

            Franziska reached forward and tried to take his mask off.

            “Oh, that is low,” he said taking her wrists to stop her from blinding him.  “That’s it, Kiddo.  You get a time out.” Moving quickly he lifted her up and held her over his shoulder.

            “Put me down!  This isn’t dignified.” Godot just grinned.  He wouldn’t have, if he’d understood what he dealing with.  Franziska moved, in his arms, until she could reach his head, and deftly removed his mask.  She then pounded his back hard, and he dropped her.

            “Damn!  Give that back.”

            “Not on your life, fool!”  Franziska said with a smirk and she started to walk away.

            “Where are you going with that?!” He asked upon hearing the sound of her retreating heels.

            “I’m going to hide it.  Imagine the fun you’ll have trying to find it when the whole world is an excellent hiding place!”  He growled and tried to follow her.

            “Aw, I think they’re friends,” Phoenix said, peering around the side of the secretary’s desk.

            “You’re an ass, Wright.”

            “You’re the one hiding with me,” Phoenix pointed out.  Miles sighed heavily.

oOo

            Franziska and Godot glared at one another.  Godot was sitting on the couch, sipping his coffee, and Franziska was sitting in Edgeworth’s chair and spinning it just slightly from side to side.  Even with the mask, it was easy to tell that neither of them was breaking the gaze.

            “So why did you ask us to meet in my little brother’s office?” Franziska asked, not turning to look at Phoenix.

            “Well, I figured it should be mutual territory,” the defense attorney said nervously. Realizing that neither of them was going to pay him any real attention, he sighed, “Listen, guys.  You’ve been assigned that case together and you’re going to have to get along.”

            “So where is my little brother?”

            “He’s seven years older than you.  Is math really that hard for girls?” Godot asked.

            “I didn’t think Hispanics did very well in school either,” Franziska replied scathingly.

            “Would the two of you stop for a second?” Phoenix said in annoyance.

            “She called me Hispanic!”

            “Well…” Phoenix said awkwardly, “Aren’t you?”

            “Well yeah, but she meant it as an insult.”

            “It was an insult,” Franziska announced.

            “At least I’m not a Nazi.”

            “I am not a Nazi!”

            “Bet you’re dick of a father was.”

            “He wasn’t old enough to-”

            “Oh my God, would the two of you just stop!” Phoenix cried in exasperation.  “I just want to help!”

            Franziska and Godot turned to him and glowered.  They looked like children who had gotten in trouble and were simply waiting for the lecture to be over so that they could continue misbehaving.

            “Here’s your coffee stained case report,” Phoenix said tossing down the poor forgotten file from the day before.  “And really I think if you’d give one another a chance you’d fine you’re not that different.”

            Receiving nothing but glares, Phoenix sighed and left the room.  They turned to one another, expressions no less furious, and both left without a word. 

oOo

            “You really need to stop sticking your nose into other people’s business,” Miles said, as he drove Phoenix back to his apartment.

            “But they need help.”

            “Contrary to what you seem to believe, it is not your job to help every poor soul who his having some sort of issue.”

            Phoenix frowned, “I don’t do that.”

            Miles raised an eyebrow, “If you say so.  Just promise that you’ll leave them be and stay out of it.”

            “Promise,” Phoenix said, before quickly adding, “Unless they really need it.”

 

 

Continue!